The University of Louisville men’s basketball team hosted media day yesterday, theoretically giving us all the perfect opportunity to find out what the goals are for the team for the upcoming season. What we actually learned was a little different…
Here are 10 interesting things you didn’t know about this year’s Louisville basketball team.
1. Freshman Akoy Agau has a dream destination, and it’s Hogwarts. The big man says that he loves Harry Potter, the books and the movies. “I’ve read each like, 15 times.”
2. Redshirt sophomore Mangok Mathiang is a huge Momma’s boy. “If I’m getting ready to go out, and I call her, and she says not to go out, I’m not going out.” Mangok’s mother is in Australia, so if that ain’t love, I don’t know what is.
3. Tim Henderson is in the mob – well, maybe not, but he loves the movie The Departed.
4. Returning junior Kevin Ware is a Bobby Flay wannabe. His specialty? “Everything,” he says, “Breakfast, lunch, dinner; four course meal type-stuff.”
5. Center Stephen Van Treese personifies Duck Dynasty. The senior said that he grew up four-wheeling, riding dirt bikes and fishing. If only he would grow last year’s beard back out…
6. Newbie Terry Rozier is scared of squirrels. No, seriously. It might not help that two albino white squirrels call the Louisville campus home. He also can only sleep with a fan on, loves Honeybuns, and has a unique way of stringing together random facts about himself.
7. He was also collectively called the most impressive freshman from the other players.
8. The majority of the team labeled Chris Jones as the funniest man on the team. Russ Smith’s Instagram posts beg to differ.
9. Wayne Blackshear admits to having a sense of humor himself, saying that he is also a comedian “behind closed doors.”
10. Freshman Anton Gill lived in France for some time because his dad played professional basketball there. However, he speaks no French, and he does not like French food. Sources waiting to confirm if he likes or dislikes French fries.