The battery case involving Caleb Brantley stemming from an April incident has been dropped due to lack of evidence.
The battery case against former Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley has been dropped due to lack of evidence, per Gatorsports.com. The complaint stemmed from an incident on April 17, where Brantley was alleged to have punched a 20-year-old woman in the face following an altercation outside a bar in Gainesville.
The State Attorney’s Office determined there was insufficient evidence to arrest or charge Brantley following an investigation and interviews of multiple witnesses.
Here’s part of the official statement, per Gatorsports.com:
“Having reviewed the matter, including interviewing the alleged victim and multiple other witnesses, it is apparent that there is no reliable evidence upon which an arrest or prosecution would be warranted or legally justified, and the sworn complaint is therefore being dismissed,” the release said.
The SA’s Office said the alleged victim, Gainesville resident Chelsea Marie Austin, “had been drinking heavily despite being underaged and was initially un-cooperative and denied having even been assaulted, has little to no memory of anything involved in the incident and cannot provide any credible testimony upon which a prosecution could go forward.”
Brantley was selected in the sixth round of the 2017 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns.