ESPN has published a ranking of the top 100 players in college football heading into the 2016 season. Deshaun Watson is thought of very highly.
The World Wide Leader used a panel of 32 of its college football writers, editors, and analysts, and had them rate players, 0-10, based on their expected performance this season.
Who's No. 1?
Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson.
The Tigers' quarterback has a near-perfect score of 9.98.
Here's the list of quarterbacks in college football history with 4,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing in the same season: Watson. That's it. The Clemson QB confounded defenses all season in 2015, accounting for 47 touchdowns en route to an ACC title and a trip to the national championship game. Watson enters 2016 as one of the favorites to win the Heisman Trophy.
Here's the full top 10:
- Clemson QB Deshaun Watson - 9.98
- LSU RB Leonard Fournette - 9.97
- Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey - 9.90
- Florida State RB Dalvin Cook - 9.60
- Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett - 9.59
- Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield - 9.21
- Oregon RB Royce Freeman - 9.14
- Iowa DB Desmond King - 9.03
- Michigan LB Jabrill Peppers - 8.98
- Alabama OT Cam Robinson - 8.97
You can view the full top 100 here.