A former Duke men’s basketball star has been accused of raping a woman while at the school in 1999. Reports of the alleged sexual assault first surfaced earlier this week without the men’s basketball player being named.
Monday night, the New York Times reported that former Duke star Corey Maggette is the player accused of raping a woman in 1999. Former Duke student Meredith Watson made the accusation last Friday, per her attorney’s statement.
“Ms. Watson was raped by a basketball player during her sophomore year at Duke. She went to the Dean, who provided no help and discouraged her from pursuing the claim further,” the lawyer said. “Ms. Watson also told friends, including Justin Fairfax. Mr. Fairfax then used this prior assault against Ms. Watson, as he explained to her during the only encounter she had with him after the rape.”
Maggette, who played at Duke from 1998-99, has strongly denied the accusation:
“It has only been through media accounts and a statement from Meredith Watson’s lawyer that I first learned or heard of anything about these sexual assault allegations,” Maggette said, according to the Times. “I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life and I completely and categorically deny any such charge.”
The former Blue Devils’ star went on to be the No. 13 overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft.
Maggette is currently an NBA analyst for Fox Sports, though he was pulled from broadcasts when the allegations were made.
Duke released a statement prior to Maggette being named.
“Duke first learned of the allegations involving a student-athlete last night when they were reported by the media,” the statement said. “Coach Krzyzewski confirms that he had no knowledge of the alleged conduct from 1999. The university is looking into the matter and will have no further comment at this time.”