Skip to main content

Report: FSU Quarterback Jameis Winston Will Not Be Charged With Sexual Battery, Rape

Now what?
Jameis Winston giving a halftime speech to Florida State's players

Update: State Attorney Willie Meggs has confirmed that Winston will not be charged with any crime due to "lack of sufficient evidence". Meggs made the announcement this afternoon on ESPN.

Earlier: Florida State redshirt freshman quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged with sexual battery or any other crime, Jeff Cameron of ESPN is reporting Thursday afternoon. Winston had been under investigation for sexual assault allegations stemming from an incident back on December 7th of 2012. Winston will remain on the Seminoles football team.

The decision comes just hours after a search warrant regarding the case was released to the public. The probable cause statement reads that the alleged victim took "five to six" shots at a Tallahassee bar and that her memory was "very broken" afterwards, but that she remembers getting in a cab and going to an apartment. Here's a snippet from the Associated Press:

The warrant said she tried to fight the man off, and at some point, another man came into the room and told him to stop. But the two went into a bathroom "where he completed the act."

Her next memory was of the suspect dressing her, putting her on a scooter and dropping her off at a campus intersection. She said she had no idea where the alleged assault took place.

Winston is considered the favorite to win this year's Heisman Trophy after leading the Seminoles to an undefeated regular season and a No. 1 ranking in both polls as well as the BCS standings. The decision likely clears the path for Winston to play in both the ACC Championship Game this Saturday and, in all probability, the BCS National Championship Game in early January.