If you watched today's game, you already know that the Orange squeaked one out against UConn, 58-55. But if you've watched this team all year, you also know that there was NOTHING typical about this game. Scoop Jardine and C.J. Fair sat the majority of the second half, James Southerland hit the biggest shot of the game, and there was a Rakeem Christmas sighting - after tip-off.
- SU held the Huskies to 34% shooting - just 26% from beyond the arc.
- SU forced the Huskies into 10 turnovers, notching 6 steals and 5 blocks - the Orange only committed four turnovers.
- Dion Waiters scored 18 points on 8-11 shooting, and looked like a beast doing it.
- James Southerland scored 10 points on 3-6 shooting, including a huge 3-pointer to give SU the lead late.
- Kris Joseph consistently penetrated the Husky defense, where he was fouled enough to take 13 free throws (making 8).
- Boeheim's decision to sit Scoop Jardine and play Triche/Waiters most of the second half.
- SU shot just 38.5%, and 21% from beyond the arc.
- SU was once again out-rebounded, 39-32 (not as bad as we've seen).
- Kris Joseph and Scoop Jardine, our two star seniors, were a combined 2-14 shooting.
- Boeheim neglecting to exploit UConn's foul trouble (7th foul with 10:32 left to play, 8th foul didn't come until 43 seconds left).
- Fab Melo's decision to take that long jumper, which resulted in an unneeded scream-fest.
- Fab Melo's decision to foul Shabazz Napier on his layup attempt with 19 seconds left, which resulted in a 4-point possession that forced SU fans to sweat it out yet again.