Skip to main content

Texas Guard Andrew Jones Has Been Released From Cancer Center In Houston

Cheerleaders holding Texas signs during a basketball game.

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - MARCH 18: Texas Longhorns cheerleaders perform in the second half against the Northern Iowa Panthers during the first round of the 2016 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament at Chesapeake Energy Arena on March 18, 2016 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Andrew Jones has taken another step forward in his recovery from leukemia. The Texas guard has been released from MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Jones last played for the Longhorns on Jan. 1, after returning from a wrist injury suffered earlier in the year. He had been playing on a limited basis for a few games, before being diagnosed with the disease.

Texas announced the leukemia diagnosis on Jan. 10. Jones had already started treatment,

Earlier this month, Texas released a statement from the Jones family. In it, the family announced that he was taking "positive strides" in his treatment.

Over the weekend, Andrew Jones officially took another big stride.

The Texas guard will now begin outpatient treatment. From the Houston Chronicle:

After spending more than a month inside MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Andrew Jones was released Saturday evening and has started receiving treatments on an outpatient basis, per a new statement released Monday night.

Jones will stay in Houston for his treatment. He released a statement about the big move.

"That was a great night and a big step for me and my family," Jones said of being released. "My doctors tell me I am continuing to show improvement, and that is really encouraging."


"As we've said before, I'm really thankful for all the love and support that has been shown to me and to my family," Jones said. "It has truly been overwhelming. I hope you'll continue to keep me in your daily thoughts and prayers. Together, we WILL win this fight."

Jones still has a long road back to the basketball court. However, it definitely sounds like the last two months since his diagnosis have been largely positive. Our thoughts continue to go out to him and his family during this recovery.

[Houston Chronicle]