Skip to main content

ESPN Releases Final Prediction For Notre Dame-Michigan

Notre Dame's Daelin Hayes chases Michigan quarterback.

SOUTH BEND, IN - SEPTEMBER 01: Dylan McCaffrey #10 of the Michigan Wolverines tries to outrun the tackle of Daelin Hayes #9 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish during the second half at Notre Dame Stadium on September 1, 2018 in South Bend, Indiana. Notre Dame won the game 24-17. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

No coach in the country can use a big-time win more than Jim Harbaugh. The Michigan head coach has struggled to beat ranked opponents. The Wolverines are in for a very tough test today vs. Notre Dame.

The Fighting Irish have just one loss this season, dropping a close game to Georgia in Athens several weeks ago. Notre Dame's College Football Playoff hopes are very much still alive. And a win on Saturday would be a major resume booster.

Michigan already has two losses this season and is most likely out of playoff contention. But the Wolverines are still in the hunt for a NY6 bowl and Big Ten title. The latter seems unlikely at this point, but it's still possible.

Ahead of tonight's game, ESPN's computer model has released its final prediction. The Matchup Predictor is projecting a Notre Dame victory, giving the Fighting Irish a 62 percent chance to win. Michigan has just a 38 percent chance to win based on the computer model. 

ESPN's prediction is a bit more lopsided than most may expect. The spread is anticipating a much closer game.

The Fighting Irish are just one-point favorites, practically a pick 'em game. That may have to do with the face Michigan is the home team.

Notre Dame-Michigan kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET on ABC.