Skip to main content

ESPN's 2nd Half Prediction For Michigan-Notre Dame

A closeup of Michigan college football head coach Jim Harbaugh wearing a Michigan hat and jacket.

PISCATAWAY, NJ - NOVEMBER 10: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines coaches against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights during the third quarter at HighPoint.com Stadium on November 10, 2018 in Piscataway, New Jersey. Michigan won 42-7. (Photo by Corey Perrine/Getty Images)

No one expected the first half of Notre Dame-Michigan to be so lopsided. But the Wolverines have jumped out to a 17-0 halftime lead.

The rainy conditions are making life difficult for the Fighting Irish. But Michigan is using the horrendous conditions to its advantage.

The Wolverines are relying on their rushing attack, led by Hassan Haskins and Zach Charbonnet. As a team, Michigan has rushed for 167 yards on 34 carries for two touchdowns. Quarterback Shea Patterson has attempted just four passes so far.

It'll be extremely difficult for the Fighting Irish to come back in this one if the horrible weather continues. And ESPN thinks this game is close to being over.

ESPN's computer model gives Michigan a 91.4 percent win probability as opposed to just 8.6 percent for Notre Dame. 

Not the best news if you're a Fighting Irish fan.

If Notre Dame is going to narrow the current 17-point deficit, it'll have to figure out a way to get the running game going. The Fighting Irish have rushed for just just 20 yards on 15 carries.

In the rainy conditions, that rushing performance won't cut it. The Fighting Irish may be in for a long second half if this weather continues.

The second half of tonight's prime-time game between Michigan and Notre Dame is airing on ABC.