Which team will land Michigan star Jabrill Peppers in tonight's NFL Draft? Predictions are all over the place.
There's no question Jabrill Peppers is one of the most talented and dynamic athletes we've ever seen in college football. Able to play seemingly any position, he was an absolute monster on defense for the Wolverines, lining up at defensive end, safety, cornerback and linebacker.
The thing is, that's also what makes him such a divisive NFL prospect. He's too small to be a linebacker, but doesn't have the ball skills to be a safety. Not to mention, the recent fiasco involving his diluted urine sample at the NFL combine complicated things even further for him. So where will Peppers end up, and when will he get drafted? Here's where several mock drafts have him, per SB Nation.
- Adam Stites, SB Nation: Round 1, No. 39 overall, Jets
- Mel Kiper, ESPN: Round 1, No. 10 overall, Bills
- Todd McShay, ESPN: Round 2, No. 45 overall, Cardinals
- Rob Rang, CBS: Round 1, No. 30 overall, Steelers
- Dieter Kurtenbach, FOX Sports: Round 2, No. 49 overall, Washington
- Chris Burke, SI.com: Round 1, No. 22 overall, Dolphins
- Pro Football Focus: Round 2, No. 57 overall, Lions (via trade)
It's pretty clear that analysts aren't quite sure what to do with him. Only Mel Kiper has him in the top 10, while most others see him falling to the late first or second round. But no one has him slipping past the second round, which speaks volumes about what a talent he is. Though he might not have a precise fit on every NFL team, a proper scheme could maximize his abilities on the field. It'll certainly be interesting to see where he lands.