Skip to main content

Joey Bosa Reportedly Declined The Chargers "Best Offer"

Joey Bosa's holdout looks like it will continue.

Joey Bosa, the San Diego Chargers' first-round pick, has been holding out of training camp. Bosa, 21, and the Chargers have yet to come to terms on some of the guarantees in the rookie's contract.

According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, San Diego made Bosa a new offer today. The Chargers reportedly made it clear to Bosa that this was their "best offer."

It was declined.

Earlier this month, Bosa was called out by one of his veteran teammates, Antonio Gates, who told him to "be a man."

From the San Diego Union-Tribune:

“My advice to any player that’s going through any kind of contract situation is that, at one point, you’ve got to be a man and you’ve got to understand that you’ve got to get ready to play,” he said Monday.

He continued:

“Sometimes you’ve got to just, as a man, you’ve got to step in and say, ‘This is what it’s going to be,’ ” he said. “Because sometimes, whether or not (there is) miscommunication with the general manager or the agent, whatever it is, at the end of the day, it’s your life, it’s your career.

“And you kind of know what’s best for you, and you know what you need. You still have to have that tunnel vision of being able to go out and perform at the highest level. So, to me, that was always the determining factor when I had issues.”

San Diego has two more preseason games - Aug. 28 against the Minnesota Vikings and Sept. 1 against the San Francisco 49ers.

The Chargers open their 2016 regular season on Sunday, Sept. 11 in Kansas City against the Chiefs. The game is set to kick off at 1 p.m. E.T. on CBS.