Skip to main content

College Football Player Dead After Stabbing Earlier This Month

A general view of the goal post during a game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Houston Texans.

PITTSBURGH - SEPTEMBER 07: A general view of the goal post during a game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Houston Texans on September 7, 2008 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Early this month, Bakersfield College freshman Aaran Porter was repeatedly stabbed after reportedly leaving a concern. Sadly, the 18 year old has now died from his injuries.

Porter spent two weeks on life support after the attack, which occurred at around 1 a.m. on February 2. According to his sister, who was with him the night of the attack, they were caught up in a "large fight" after the show.

Three men have been arrested in connection to the attack, including a 19-year old who was found across the country in Pennsylvania. Two others are still wanted.

Bakersfield College athletics put out a statement after Aaran Porter's tragic death.

From 23ABC News in Bakersfield:

"Renegade Athletics is saddened to hear of the tragic events involving one of our football student athletes, Aaron Porter, this last week. Aaron was a freshman redshirt offensive lineman on the Renegade football team.

"Our continued thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends throughout the community. Aaron's character was always exemplary and his influence was profound. Coaches referred to him as the 'Gentle Giant'. He was well liked and left a positive impact with all he encountered.

'It's a tragedy - too young, too much life ahead.' commented head football coach Jeff Chudy, 'I will always think of Aaron as an upbeat kid with a great smile. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.'"

Porter was in his second semester studying criminal justice, with goals of becoming a probation officer.

The five suspects are being accused of attempted murder, conspiracy, and gang participation. Despite that final potential charge, Porter's mother said that her son was not affiliated with any gang, and that it was a random act of violence.


Porter's family insists he didn't know any of these men.

"I know it's hard for people to think that this was just a random act, but it really was," said his mother, Kim Wyatt. "My sons are not affiliated in no gang at all."

The Porter family is taking donations through Facebook. So far, the efforts have raised over $1,300 for the family. Our thoughts go out to them in these difficult times.

[23ABC News;]