Skip to main content

Arik Gilbert, Country's No. 1 Tight End, "Shocks" With His Commitment

Fans watch during the game between the Louisiana State University Tigers and the University of Louisiana-Lafatette Ragin' Cajuns at Tiger Stadium.

BATON ROUGE, LA - SEPTEMBER 19: Fans watch during the game between the Louisiana State University Tigers and the University of Louisiana-Lafatette Ragin' Cajuns at Tiger Stadium on September 19, 2009 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

Arik Gilbert, the No. 1 tight end recruit in the country, announced his college football commitment decision this evening. It's a shocking one.

The five-star prospect, ranked the No. 10 overall recruit in the 2020 class by 247Sports' Composite Rankings, was widely expected to commit to Alabama. Roughly 90 percent of the predictions on 247Sports' "Crystal Ball" had him pledging to the Crimson Tide. The other 10 percent had the Marietta, Ga. native staying home and committing to the Bulldogs.

Gilbert isn't committing to either Alabama or Georgia, though.

The five-star recruit has committed to LSU.

It's safe to say that even LSU fans didn't see this one coming.

Gilbert joins a 2020 LSU class that features commitments from three five-star recruits. It's ranked the No. 4 overall class in the country by 247Sports.

You can view the Tigers' full class here.