Michigan and Ohio State appear to be on collision course that culminates in a 11-0 vs. 11-0 matchup in Columbus in late November.
Roughly halfway through the 2016 regular season, how do bitter rivals Ohio State and Michigan stack up?
A brief overview of the two teams:
- Record: 5-0, 2-0 Big Ten
- National ranking: No. 2 (AP Poll and Coaches' Poll)
- ESPN FPI ranking: No. 5
- Best win: at Oklahoma, 45-24, on Sept. 17
- Record: 6-0, 3-0 Big Ten
- National ranking: No. 4 (AP Poll and Coaches' Poll)
- ESPN FPI ranking: No. 1
- Best win: vs. Wisconsin, 14-7
How the teams' units stack up against each other:
Ohio State's offense vs. Michigan's defense
- Ohio State has the 22nd most-efficient offense in the country and rank No. 3 in the country in points per game (53.2)
- Michigan has the third most-efficient defense in the country and rank No. 1 in the country in scoring defense (10.3 points per game)
- There's a ridiculous amount of talent and ability on both sides of the ball here. It's pretty evenly matched.
Michigan's offense vs. Ohio State's defense
- Michigan has the ninth most-efficient offense in the country and rank No. 4 in the country in points per game (50)
- Ohio State has the fourth most-efficient defense in the country and rank No. 2 in the country in scoring defense (10.8)
- Both Michigan's offense and Ohio State's defense have been elite through five or six games, but there's still a little bit of skepticism with the Wolverines' offense (see: Wisconsin game). Do they have the quarterback play and overall skill to put up a lot of points in Columbus?
Advantage: Ohio State.
Ohio State's special teams vs. Michigan's special teams
- Michigan has the 12th most-efficient special teams unit in the country
- Ohio State has the 47th most-efficient special teams unit in the country
- The Wolverines have Jabrill Peppers, who could return a punt for a touchdown at any time, so Michigan has the edge here. Ohio State doesn't rely on its special teams unit very much, anyway (because they don't really have to).
Who do you have come Nov. 26?