Here are the 10 highest-paid coaches in college football in 2017.
College football coaches' salaries have become a topic of discussion today. We have Ohio State's athletic director to thank for that.
Buckeyes' AD Gene Smith spoke out against the contract Texas A&M gave former Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher. He called it "ridiculous."
“I don’t even put Texas A&M in our sphere because I’m considering Urban [Meyer]’s situation with three years left on his contract,” Smith said per The Lantern. “Talking with [Susan Basso, vice president of human resources] and [Joanna McGoldrick, associate vice president of total rewards], that’s not even someone that we’re comparing with because it’s so ridiculous.”
Fisher's contract is pretty crazy. It's 10 years, $75 million.
With that, let's take a look at the 10 highest-paid coaches in college football in 2017. The list is from USA TODAY's coaching database:
1. Alabama's Nick Saban - $11.1 million
2. Clemson's Dabo Swinney - $8.5 million
3. Michigan's Jim Harbaugh - $7 million
4. Ohio State's Urban Meyer - $6.4 million
5. Rich Rodriguez - $6 million (was fired by Arizona)
6. Jimbo Fisher - $5. 7 million (now making $7.5 million at Texas A&M)
7. Stanford's David Shaw - $5.6 million
8. Texas' To Herman - $5.4 million
9. TCU's Gary Patterson - $5.1 million
10. Kevin Sumlin - $5 million (now making $3 million at Arizona)
Of course, it's important to note that this list is from 2017. Fisher is now at Texas A&M and he's making $7.5 million. Sumlin is now at Arizona and making a little more than $3 million.
The full 2017 database can be found here.