Skip to main content

UCONN Getting Crushed For Pulling A 2017 Recruit's Scholarship

The Huskies football program is under scrutiny.

Connecticut, now led by former-head coach Randy Edsall, is facing criticism for pulling a 2017 commit's scholarship a couple of weeks before National Signing Day.

Ryan Dickens, a two-star linebacker in the 2017 class out of New Jersey, reportedly had his scholarship pulled two weeks from signing day.

From NJ.com:

Dickens’ cell phone rang while he and his parents, Matt and Patti, were still in the parking lot of the awards banquet in Princeton Junction Sunday night. UConn coach Randy Edsall was on the other end. Ryan Dickens excitedly answered the phone, but in an instant his world was shattered.

Edsall was calling to tell Dickens the unthinkable: The school no longer had a scholarship for him.

A recruit getting his scholarship pulled is an unfortunate but common aspect of the college football recruiting process.

This one, though, stings pretty bad, as it leaves Dickens in limbo at a time when most program's have their classes close to wrapped up.

UConn’s decision to pull Dickens’ scholarship was a gut-punch for several reasons, including the timing, his parents said. Dickens had originally committed to UConn and head coach Bob Diaco in June of 2016, effectively shutting down his recruiting process and prompting him to refuse overtures from other schools.

UConn fired Diaco in late December and hired Edsall — who had previously served as head coach of the Huskies from 1999 to 2010 — on Dec. 30. Dickens worried about his scholarship offer, but Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe, his parents said.

Hopefully Dickens can land somewhere else soon.

You can read NJ.com's full report here.