Skip to main content

Notre Dame Star LB Te'Von Coney Receives Sentence For 2016 Arrest

Brian Kelly clapping on the Notre Dame sideline.

EAST LANSING, MI - SEPTEMBER 23: Head coach Brian Kelly of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish watches the warm ups prior to the start of the game against the Michigan State Spartans at Spartan Stadium on September 23, 2017 in East Lansing, Michigan. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)

Notre Dame football got some potentially big news this afternoon. Te'Von Coney, who was arrested on a marijuana charge back in 2016, has finally gone through the legal system.

Coney was one of five players booked on charges stemming from an August 1, 2016 incident. The group also featured Max Redfield, Kevin Stepherson Jr., Dexter Williams, and Ashton White.

Four of the five were booked on marijuana possessions. Redfield was also charged with possession of an unregistered handgun, and was dismissed from the Notre Dame football team. He wound up finishing his career at Division II Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Coney's case has had a number of strange twists over the last year. From the News-Sentinel, back in May :

Last October, Coney, a first-time offender, was ordered to probation for a drug screen but in December the court rejected a plea and a sentencing hearing was canceled.

A change of plea hearing was conducted in March, but on April 30, Coney asked to withdraw a plea agreement “based on the results of the testing in April of 2018,” according to the joint motion filed and was scheduled for the Aug. 1 bench trial. The court records do not specify what those results were.

He was set to stand trial in August, but things have been resolved over a month earlier than that.

Te'Von Coney entered a plea agreement, which was approved by the judge residing over the case.

As a result, he will have one year probation after the guilty plea. That is good news for the Fighting Irish.

Earlier this year, Brian Kelly said that he expects Coney to be good to go for the start of the season, pending on the result of this trial. From the South Bend Tribune:

The Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., native is expected to be eligible to play out his final season of eligibility in 2018. In an interview with the Tribune earlier this month, ninth-year Irish head coach Brian Kelly said, “If he takes care of it in the manner I expect him to, he should be full go, ready to play when we get to (August training) camp."

Last season, Coney broke out as one of the top defensive players on the Fighting Irish roster. He recorded a team-high 116 total tackles, along with three sacks, and a forced fumble. He had one of his best career games against LSU in the Citrus Bowl, notching 17 tackles in the win.

[South Bend Tribune]