If you tune into ESPN regularly, chances are you’ve seen Mina Kimes on the air. A senior writer for ESPN the Magazine, Kimes showcases her versatility with regular appearances on Around the Horn, Highly Questionable, High Noon and other shows on the Worldwide Leader.
A Yale alum who got her start in business reporting, Kimes is among the best at writing a well-crafted, detailed profile about an athlete or team. She also isn’t shy about displaying her sense of humor and fun-loving side on television or radio.
We caught up with Kimes for our “21 Questions” series and asked her about a bunch of different topics: some serious, some fun, some outright zany. Get ready to know more about her than you ever thought you would.
Below, you can find Mina’s pick for her hypothetical MLB walk-up song, what she’d do as NFL commissioner, her idea for a “Bachelor” series starring pets, the athlete she’d most like to profile, a controversial opinion on pizza and much more.
Here we go…
1. What’d you have for breakfast this morning?
MK: Yogurt and cereal. I was only allowed to eat healthy cereal as a kid so now I eat trashy stuff like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
2. Would you have a hit reality show if it followed around your dog Lenny?
MK: Would people be entertained by watching a dog nap for 5-6 hours a day, rise intermittently to bark at the faint hum of passing cars, and start agitating for dinner at 3 pm? Probably. This question reminds me of a reality TV idea I came up with: A dating show, but with rescue dogs choosing the people that will adopt them. They go on four hometown dates and it culminates with the dog standing in the middle of a field and running towards the winning family. The tag line is: THE BACHELORPET: WHO WILL HE CHEWS?
3. The favorite thing you’ve Etch-a-Sketched is…
MK: LeBron as a possum carrying his baby possums.
take two pic.twitter.com/p1S4TcMpuk
— Mina Kimes (@minakimes) June 9, 2018
4. Best pizza: New York, Chicago or New Haven?
MK: I know I’m supposed to say New Haven, but if I’m being honest, I think all pizza tastes good. Even like, Sbarro’s. Love me a New York slice!
5. You have to sing one karaoke song correctly to save your life, what would it be?
MK: I recently surprised myself by correctly reciting all of the lyrics from the Captain Planet theme song.
6. Your favorite city to visit that you’ve never lived in…
7. What’s the most annoying thing someone can do on an airplane?
MK: It’s a tie between bum-rushing the aisle when the plane lands and reclining before takeoff. Also: There’s a special place in hell for people who are rude to flight attendants.
8. Rank the following members of the Dan Le Batard Show from most to least annoying: Stugotz, Dan, Guillermo.
MK: I don’t think any of them are annoying! But if I had to give one those guys a wedgie it would be Billy.
9. Imagine you ran Highly Questionable…who are you choosing as your guest hosts for your first episode?
MK: Like, to sit next to me? I think Marshawn Lynch would be great. He’s terrific on television and would get a kick out of Papi.
10. What would be your walkup song if you played in the MLB?
MK: I think about this all the time. Either Dig Me Out by Sleater-Kinney or Go Crazy by Young Jeezy.
11. The movie you’ve seen the most times is…
MK: Fittingly, Groundhog Day.
12. Twitter or Instagram?
13. What is your best personal athletic feat?
MK: Beating Pablo Torre in ping pong. It hasn’t happened yet but I know I’d handle him with ease. I also scored four goals in a soccer game when I was nine or ten.
14. Name one athlete you wish you could profile.
MK: If I could get access….Kawhi Leonard. Durant is fascinating, too.
15. You get 10 shots to make one NBA three-pointer. If you make one, you get a billion dollars. If you don’t make any, you go to maximum security prison for a year. Do you do it?
MK: I’ve never made a three so I wouldn’t attempt it.
16. What Hogwarts house would you be in?
17. Rank these fast food restaurants: Chick-fil-A, Wendy’s, Taco Bell, McDonald’s, Burger King.
MK: 1-5: Sonic Drive-In
18. Would you rather be able to time travel or teleport?
MK: I really just want an app that reliably turns voicemails into texts. Who leaves voicemails in 2019? Monsters.
19. Your favorite random Seattle Seahawk and why?
MK: Current roster? Poona Ford. He’s built like Jigglypuff and tackles like Charizard.
20. What jersey number would you wear if you played quarterback in the NFL?
MK: 13. Let’s change the narrative.
21. You’re made commissioner of the NFL for one day and allowed to make one change to the league. What would you do?
MK: I would get rid of the fumble touchback rule. No wait—I would depose myself and make Bill Barnwell the commissioner…then he could make a bunch of smart changes.
You can read more of our interviews with sports media stars here.