Earlier this month, Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro was being investigated for an alleged domestic violence incident. On Friday, the MLB announced its punishment for Castro.
The MLB has suspended Castro for 30 games because he violated the league’s policy on domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.
“Having reviewed all the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Castro violated our policy and that discipline is appropriate,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said.
Even though Castro could still technically return to the diamond later this season, it won’t be with the Nationals. The team will release Castro after his suspension concludes.
“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously. We fully support the Commissioner’s decision and will be releasing Starlin Castro upon the completion of his suspension,” the Nationals said in a statement. “Per the terms of the policy, we will have no further comment on this matter.”
MLB announced that Starlin Castro has received a 30-game suspension without pay effective today for violating the league’s domestic violence policy. Full release: pic.twitter.com/J6GCrXNbgD
— Maria Torres (@maria_torres3) July 30, 2021
This is not first disturbing story involving Castro that has come to light. He was accused of sexual assault in the fall of 2011, however, charges were never filed in that alleged incident. At that time, he was an All-Star for the Chicago Cubs.
In 87 games this season, Castro had a .283 average with three home runs and 38 RBI.