Skip to main content

Bob Costas Has Stepped Down At NBC

Bob Costas gives a speech.

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 25: GSLD Master of Ceremonies Bob Costas speaks onstage during the 32nd Annual Great Sports Legends Dinner To Benefit The Miami Project/Buoniconti Fund To Cure Paralysis at New York Hilton Midtown on September 25, 2017 in New York City. (Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images for The Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis )

After around 40 years at NBC in a variety of roles for the network's sports coverage, legendary broadcaster Bob Costas has stepped away.

The wheels for Costas' departure have been turning since the summer.

In August, New York Postwriter Andrew Marchand reported that the two sides were working to "end the relationship."

Costas' deal with NBC was set to run through 2021, but considering his decision to back away from both Olympics and football coverage, it does seem like a logical move for both sides.

Ahead of NBC's broadcast of the 2018 Super Bowl, Costas said that he was "happy" that he was not part of the coverage.

He has been outspoken in his criticism of the sport, and particularly the NFL, when it comes to its "undeniable connection to brain trauma."

Now, according to Marchand, Bob Costas and NBC have officially parted ways.

From Tuesday's New York Postnews:

“It’s all settled quietly and happily for all concerned,” Costas told The Post.

[...]

Costas’ exact payout is unknown. When asked for specifics, Costas said the final finances of the settlement were reconciled “more than fairly.” The agreement was made late last year, but NBC and Costas decided to keep the parting quiet.

Costas will continue his role at MLB Network, and has floated the idea of what Marchand describes as a "sports/news interview-style show."

He was the main host NBC's coverage of 11 editions of the Olympic Games, and called virtually every significant American sport during his time at the network. He is 66 years old.

[New York Post]