Skip to main content

Breaking: Soccer Star Will Miss Entire Men's World Cup

Qatar FIFA World Cup logo

UKRAINE - 2021/11/20: In this photo illustration, FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 logo is seen on a smartphone screen. (Photo Illustration by Pavlo Gonchar/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)

It was reported earlier this week that Sadio Mane would miss Senegal's opening game of the 2022 World Cup due to a leg injury. On Thursday, the national team provided an update on the star forward from Bayern Munich.  

Unfortunately, Senegal has announced that Mane will not play in the World Cup. This is devastating news for the 30-year-old. 

That being said, Senegal was already preparing to play without him on the pitch.  

"We will have to rely on playing the first games without Sadio and win without Sadio because we have 25 players apart from Sadio,” Senegal soccer federation board member Abdoulaye Sow said on Tuesday. “No one would have wanted it, but that’s what’s happened to us.”

Mane suffered this injury last week during a game between Bayern Munich and Werder Bremen. 

In 93 appearances for the Senegal national team, Mane has scored 34 goals. His playmaking skills will be missed in Qatar. 

Senegal will take on the Netherlands this upcoming Monday.