Cam Newton might be without an NFL team at the moment, but the former No. 1 overall pick appears to be as motivated as ever.
The Carolina Panthers announced on Tuesday that Newton was being released. The former NFL MVP has dealt with injuries over the last year-plus and Carolina has chosen to move on.
“Cam has meant a lot to this organization and the Carolinas,” general manager Marty Hurney said in a statement. “Everyone saw his performances on the field. I had the privilege of seeing how hard he worked off the field, and his commitment to this team when no one was watching. He’s the ultimate competitor and it physically hurts him to lose. He willed this team to victory on many occasions and will always be considered one of the greatest players in the history of this franchise. His contributions to this team, this community and the game of football will leave a lasting impact on our organization.”
Newton took to Instagram on Thursday morning to post some workout videos. He sent a clear message to the Panthers organization.
“They gave up on me,” Newton said.
Cam Newton – They gave up on me."pic.twitter.com/yqeeoHkKhs
— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) March 26, 2020
Newton has been linked to a couple of different NFL franchises – Washington, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Los Angeles Chargers – but he remains unsigned for now.
Newton, 30, could have several more years of good football left in him. The former Auburn Tigers star will have to prove he’s healthy before getting a team to take a chance on him, though.