Skip to main content

Former ESPN Reporter Kaylee Hartung Announces She Has Coronavirus

Kaylee Hartung working the sideline for ESPN at a game in Texas.

AUSTIN, TX - SEPTEMBER 14: Sideline reporter Kaylee Hartung of the Longhorn Network reports before the game between the Ole Miss Rebels and Texas Longhorns at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on September 14, 2013 in Austin, Texas. The Rebels won the game 44-23. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

Former ESPN reporter Kaylee Hartung, who now works for ABC News, announced Wednesday morning that she has tested positive for coronavirus. Hartung went on Good Morning America to speak about her symptoms.

Hartung, a fan favorite during her time at ESPN, says she likely picked up the virus while she was covering the outbreak in Seattle last week. She says she started showing symptoms about four days after she returned. She also says she's starting to feel better.

"It really all started with a runny nose about a week ago, and that was four days after I'd returned from a week spent in Seattle covering the initial outbreak of the virus in the U.S. So last Wednesday, it was just a runny nose. I honestly thought it was allergies. I didn't think it was anything more than that.

I woke up the next morning, just last Thursday, and you know when you wake up and you know something is wrong immediately? You just feel it in your body? I've had the feeling before when I've had the flu when my body has just broken down - when I've gone too hard and I've been run down. I knew something was off as soon as I woke up and that's when I started consulting medical professionals.

...I had that runny nose, the next morning I woke up and really was knocked off my feet. I was fatigued. I was not looking forward to getting out of bed. I had a headache just right between the eyes. I was congested. I had body aches in places that I wasn't used to having them. My lower back was really hurting.

But what was notable to me was that I wasn't having the symptoms that were being so closely associated with coronavirus. I wasn't having any sort of a dry cough. I didn't have any shortness of breath and I didn't feel any pressure on my chest. So it was easy for me at first to think "this is nothing.""

Hartung ultimately got tested because she'd been in the area of an outbreak. She says she still doesn't know who she came in contact with who has the virus.

It's a scary time right now, and people need to take the government's warnings seriously and limit their exposure to others. Our thoughts are with Hartung as she continues to recover.