Skip to main content

Phil Mickelson Announces Decision: Golf Fans React

A closeup of Phil Mickelson.

AUGUSTA, GEORGIA - APRIL 11: Phil Mickelson of the United States looks on from the 13th green during the first round of the Masters at Augusta National Golf Club on April 11, 2019 in Augusta, Georgia. (Photo by Andrew Redington/Getty Images)

Phil Mickelson has requested a release from the PGA Tour to participate in the first LIV Golf Invitational event this June.

Via Dan Rapaport of Golf Digest, Mickelson's agent, Steve Loy, released a statement confirming his request ahead of the June 9-11 event in London. Mickelson is also set to defend last year's PGA Championship and compete in the U.S. Open.

“Phil currently has no concrete plans on when and where he will play," Moy said. "Any actions taken are in no way a reflection of a final decision made, but rather to keep all options open.”

Mickelson hasn't golfed at a PGA Tour event since missing the Farmers Insurance Open cut in January. The 51-year-old has taken a hiatus since facing backlash for controversial remarks about his interest in the Saudi Arabian-backed league. While he acknowledged the country's "horrible record on human rights," Mickelson said the new league nevertheless represents leverage as "a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to shape how the PGA Tour operates." Some fans expressed disappointment over Mickelson's decision, with one saying they're "very ashamed to have ever been a fan of this man."

Once one of the game's most popular competitors, Mickelson could lose some supporters in light of his choice to seek clearance to play for LIV Golf.