UPDATE: The school will reportedly NOT forfeit games.
UPDATE: The UIL met and told me that Mount Vernon, coached by former Baylor head coach Art Briles will NOT forfeit any games because ineligible players were previously ruled eligible at a previous DEC meeting. pic.twitter.com/4yyNHK7S4t
— Joseph Hoyt (@JoeJHoyt) October 9, 2019
The high school football team coached by former Baylor head coach Art Briles is reportedly facing a forfeiture of games.
According to a report from the Dallas Morning News, Mount Vernon High School’s football team faces the possibility of forfeiting up to five games.
The decision comes after a District Executive Committee ruled unanimously this week that two players on the team were ineligible.
Here’s more from the report:
The players, Brock and Cameron Nellor, were ruled Tuesday to have moved into the district for athletic purposes. Briles and Mount Vernon received a public reprimand, but no forfeitures were handed down by the committee, Mount Vernon ISD Superintendent Jason McCullough told The Dallas Morning News in a statement.
League rules reportedly stipulate that any previous victories can be wiped away if it is determined the team uses “an ineligible contestant.”
Briles took over as the team’s head coach in May, his first coaching job since Baylor.
Despite the headlines around the program, Mount Vernon started the season with a 5-0 record. Those five wins, however, could be wiped off the board as a result of today’s decision.
Briles received a $15.1 million settlement from Baylor after the school fired him amidst a sexual assault scandal.
Stay tuned for the latest.