Skip to main content

Ryan Newman Releases Statement On His Daytona 500 Crash

NASCAR drive Ryan Newman before a race.

DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA - FEBRUARY 17: Ryan Newman, driver of the #6 Koch Industries Ford, stands on the grid prior to the start of the NASCAR Cup Series 62nd Annual Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway on February 17, 2020 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

NASCAR driver Ryan Newman has released a statement on his crash at the Daytona 500 last weekend and updated his recovery process.

"I’m sorry that I can’t be at the track in person, but I asked Steve (Newmark) to take a moment to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude for all the support that was shown last week to both me and my family. The outpouring of emotion from not only the NASCAR community, but across the country has been truly humbling," Newman said today.

Newman, 42, was involved in a horrifying crash in the final lap of the Daytona 500 last weekend. He was quickly transported to the hospital and, miraculously, was released just a couple of days later.

“I was fortunate to avoid any internal organ damage or broken bones. I did sustain a head injury for which I’m currently being treated. The doctors have been pleased with my progression over the last few days.

“Again, I want to thank each of you, from my partners, teammates and competitors and each and every fan across the country. Thank you everyone for the unparalleled concern and unwavering support. And to the media, who has acted with such respect and class during this time," Newman said.

Newman ended his statement by saying he looks forward to racing again.

“I have spoken with Jack Roush and he has assured me that the number six car will be waiting and ready for my return. I’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel and battling for another race win in the Roush Fenway Ford," he said.

There is currently no timetable for Newman's return to the track.