New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton became the first prominent NFL employee to contract the coronavirus last week.
Payton, 56, announced on Thursday that he had tested positive. The Super Bowl-winning coach said he didn't feel good last Sunday, took the test on Monday and got the results back a couple of days later.
Peter King of NBC Sports caught up with Payton over the weekend to get an update on his status following a couple of days of quarantine. The Saints head coach is doing better.
“Look, I feel well. I’ll get better, and we’ll go on, and we’ll have the draft in some way, shape or form,” Payton told King. “That’s not what’s important right now. What’s important is our health-care workers, our doctors and nurses, on the front lines of this thing. We’ve got to take care of them.
“For now, this is our life, and we’ve got to be prepared for it. Some basic stuff in all of our lives is going to be threatened. We’ve all got to exercise a little more social responsibility. We all felt invincible at some point in our lives, as young people do now. But think of the person you might be affecting.”
Payton told King that he wasn't sure how he contracted the coronavirus. He traveled a decent amount in February and early March and could have picked it up at a number of places.
Thankfully, Payton is now doing the right thing and isolating himself inside of his house.
Here's to the Saints head coach making a full recovery and the rest of the world beating this thing into submission in the upcoming months.