Three games into the 2020-21 season, the Brooklyn Nets took a major hit to their roster when Spencer Dinwiddie was diagnosed with a partially torn ACL. Less than six months later, he’s reached a major milestone in his recovery.
According to The Athletic and Stadium NBA insider Shams Charania, Dinwiddie has been cleared for “full basketball activities” by his operating surgeon. The timing of the report means that the 28-year-old has fully come back from the serious injury in just over five months.
“Nets free agent Spencer Dinwiddie has been fully cleared for all basketball activities, his operating surgeon Dr. Riley Williams says. Dinwiddie recovered from a partial ACL tear in just over five months. He enters free agency as one of the top point guards on the market,” Charania tweeted on Tuesday.
The NBA insider added a quote from Williams to provide further context on just how far Dinwiddie has come in his recovery.
“He looks and feels and moves like the pre-injury Spencer Dinwiddie,” Williams told Charania.
Dr. Riley Williams: “He looks and feels and moves like the pre-injury Spencer Dinwiddie.” https://t.co/fQxOzbrZzb
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) June 22, 2021
The report bodes well for Dinwiddie’s prospects in free agency this summer. Coming off an injury always leads to questions from interested teams, especially when the injury is as serious as a partially torn ACL. Dinwiddie should be able to dismiss those concerns with ease after this latest information.
The 28-year-old guard played in just three games for the Nets this season before sustaining the injury but he’s just over a year removed from the best stretch of his career. With the absence of Kevin Durant in 2019, Dinwiddie filled the hole admirably, averaging 20.6 points and 6.8 assists in 64 games for Brooklyn.
Just last week, point guard Dinwiddie signaled he wouldn’t be returning to the Brooklyn Nets by not exercising his player option for the 2021-22 season. The option would’ve paid him $12.3 million next year.
However, Dinwiddie feels that he’s worth more than that after his stellar 2019-2020 campaign.
“I’m gonna be more than healthy by the time free agency starts, so just from a dollars perspective you kind of have to,” Dinwiddie told Shlomo Sprung of Forbes in May. “$12 million isn’t market value for a starting point guard. It’s probably about half, 20-25. So obviously it’s pretty concrete that I’m gonna opt out.”
Dinwiddie will be one of the most intriguing scorers on the open market this summer, so time will tell what team wants to bring him on board for a hefty price.