Skip to main content

ESPN Computer's Prediction For Penn State-Maryland

Penn State RB Ricky Slade runs for touchdown against Maryland.

STATE COLLEGE, PA - NOVEMBER 24: Ricky Slade #4 of the Penn State Nittany Lions rushes for a touchdown against the Maryland Terrapins during the third quarter at Beaver Stadium on November 24, 2018 in State College, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

The Big Ten is full of pivotal games this Saturday. Ohio State-Nebraska may be the prime-time matchup. But No. 12 Penn State faces Maryland in a game which carries heavy connotations.

The Terrapins are improving each and every season as of late. They outscored their first two opponents by a combined score of 142-20. But then suffered a disappointing 20-17 loss to Temple on Sep. 14. The Owls dominated on the defensive side of the ball and shut down the MD offense.

Maryland has had an extra week of preparation for Penn State though due to a bye. Could that extra preparation make a difference?

The Nittany Lions have looked tremendous at times, but underwhelming in other various moments. Nonetheless, Penn State is 3-0 and looking for a win in its first Big Ten game of the season.

Heading into the game, the Nittany Lions are just 6.5-point favorites. But ESPN is predicting it won't be that close of a game.

ESPN's computer gives Penn State a 70.9% chance to win on Saturday. As a result, the Terrapins have just a 29.1% to win. 

While ESPN loves the Nittany Lions in this one, could Saturday's game be closer than expected?

Maryland will be playing in front of its home crowd — it's expected to be a raucous environment. How will Penn State respond to a feisty crowd?

What's your prediction for Penn State-Maryland?