Skip to main content

Jaguars Issue Statement Following Madden NFL Tournament Shooting In Jacksonville

A Jags helmet ahead of a game against the Redskins.

LANDOVER, MD - SEPTEMBER 14: A Jacksonville Jaguars helmet sits on the field before the start of the Jaguars and Washington Redskins game at FedExField on September 14, 2014 in Landover, Maryland. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

Today's mass shooting during a Madden NFL Tournament in Jacksonville was a shocking tragedy. A gunman opened fire, killing four and injuring others.

The shooting occurred during a Madden competition at Jacksonville Landing. Authorities are still investigating exactly what happened, but the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says the lone suspect died at the scene.

The shooter was reportedly a player in the tournament who had lost earlier in the afternoon.

This evening, the Jacksonville Jaguars released a statement regarding the horrific event.

“It’s impossible to comprehend today’s news,” Jaguars owner Shad Khan said. “I’m heartbroken for the families and friends of the victims and can only express my deepest condolences as we try to understand why and how this can happen, not only here, but anywhere.

“What I can say is I know today what lifelong Jacksonville residents have known forever — we are resilient, compassionate and remarkably supportive of our neighbors and friends, particularly in the most trying occasions. This tragedy will ask the best of us all, but I know how we will respond.”

While the Jaguars haven't announced any plans to assist victims of today's attack, it would not surprise us if they were planning something.

This is a tragedy that affects not just the Jacksonville community, but hits home for anyone in America.