The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly know who will be starting at point guard to open the 2018-19 NBA regular season. Hint: It won't be Lonzo Ball.
ESPN's Dave McMenamin is reporting that Lakers head coach Luke Walton told him that free agent signing Rajon Rondo will be starting at point guard to open the season.
Ball, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, is still recovering from offseason surgery.
"Luke Walton told me today that Rajon Rondo will be the Lakers’ starting point guard to start the year. Lonzo told me he was just cleared today for full contact practice, but Walton had already said that won’t include scrimmaging," McMenamin said.
Much was made about the Lakers' starting point guard position when Rondo signed with the team in free agency.
The Lakers are reportedly going to take their time with Ball moving forward:
Ball says he "just got cleared" to participate in full workouts after undergoing surgery on a torn left meniscus, and the Lakers will be careful and take things slowly with Ball. Lakers coach Luke Walton told ESPN's Dave McMenamin that the plan is to start Rajon Rondo at point guard as Ball makes his way back from his mid-July surgery.
Once Ball makes his way back into 5-on-5 action, he hopes to show off an improved jump shot and the ability to finish better in the paint.
The Lakers open the season on Oct. 18 at Portland.