Skip to main content

Meet Woody Williams, The WW2 Vet Who Did The Coin Toss

Woody Williams does the coin toss at the Super Bowl.

Meet the man who did the coin toss at the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl coin toss went viral on social media tonight. It wasn't much of a toss.

That's OK, though. The guy who did the toss is such a badass that he can do whatever he wants.

Meet Hershel "Woody" Williams, the World War II vet who got the honor of doing tonight's coin toss. He's a Medal of Honor recipient and at 94 years old, he's the only living marine who was a Medal of Honor Recipient from WW2.

The guy is an American hero. Stories of what he did during the war are crazy.

Here's the story of how he earned his Medal of Honor:

Williams' next and final campaign was at the Battle of Iwo Jima, where he distinguished himself with actions "above and beyond the call of duty" – for which he would be awarded the Medal of Honor. On February 21, 1945, he landed on the beach with the 1st Battalion, 21st Marines. Williams, by then a corporal, distinguished himself two days later when American tanks, trying to open a lane for infantry, encountered a network of reinforced concrete pillboxes. Williams went forward alone with his 70-pound (32 kg) flamethrower to attempt the reduction of devastating machine gun fire from the unyielding positions.

Covered by only four riflemen, he fought for four hours under terrific enemy small-arms fire and repeatedly returned to his own lines to prepare demolition charges and obtain serviced flame throwers. He returned to the front, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out one position after another. At one point, a wisp of smoke alerted him to the air vent of a Japanese bunker, and he approached close enough to put the nozzle of his flamethrower through the hole, killing the occupants. On another occasion, he was charged by enemy riflemen who attempted to stop him with bayonets and he killed them with a burst of flame from his weapon.

These actions occurred on the same day that two flags were raised on Mount Suribachi, and Williams, about one thousand yards away from the volcano, was able to witness the event. He fought through the remainder of the five-week-long battle even though he was wounded on March 6 in the leg by shrapnel, for which he was awarded the Purple Heart.

Yeah, no one is going to confront a guy about a coin "toss" when he's done stuff like that. Thank you for your service, Mr. Williams.