Skip to main content

President Trump Announces New Decision On The Special Olympics

Donald Trump stands for the national anthem at the CFB Playoff.

ATLANTA, GA - JANUARY 08: U.S. President Donald Trump on field during the national anthem prior to the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T between the Georgia Bulldogs and the Alabama Crimson Tide at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on January 8, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

United States President Donald Trump has announced a new decision on funding for the Special Olympics, revealing the change today.

President Trump has announced that the Special Olympics will be funded.

"The Special Olympics will be funded. I just told my people, ‘I want to fund the Special Olympics,'" Trump told reporters on Thursday. "I heard about it this morning. I have overridden my people. We’re funding the Special Olympics."

President Trump's comments come after cuts in funding had been proposed by U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos during an appearance before Congress on Tuesday. DeVos had proposed roughly $18 million in cuts during her appearance before Congress. "We had to make some difficult decisions with this budget," DeVos said on Tuesday, saying she believes the program is better supported by "the philanthropic sector."

DeVos donated part of her salary to the Special Olympics, though also proposed cuts.

"The Special Olympics is not a federal program. It’s a private organization," DeVos said in the statement. "Because of its important work, it is able to raise more than $100 million every year. There are dozens of worthy nonprofits that support students and adults with disabilities that don’t get a dime of federal grant money. But given our current budget realities, the federal government cannot fund every worthy program, particularly ones that enjoy robust support from private donations.”

News of potential cuts to the Special Olympics sparked major outrage. President Trump appeared to respond to that outrage today.