Clint Capela was one of the key contributors for the Houston Rockets this past season. The big man is currently a restricted free agent.
As a restricted free agent, Capela’s team has the opportunity to match any offer sheet another team gives him. The Rockets first extended him a qualifying offer worth more than $3 million, and reportedly plan on matching any offer that comes in.
However, no other offers have come in, and Capela has just been negotiating with the Rockets. Things haven’t seemed to be going well.
Reports last week indicated Capela may just play out this season on the qualifying offer and enter free agency next year. He reportedly wants a deal at or near a max contract value.
A new report from Kelly Iko of USA Today says the Rockets haven’t come close to offering that.
I’m told Clint Capela felt undervalued during initial negotiations with Houston—he’s reportedly seeking more than the 4/80m given to Zach Lavine, and was offered a contract in the range of the 4/48m given to Nurkic.
— Kelly Iko (@KellyIkoNBA) July 8, 2018
This is a frustrating stalemate for Rockets fans. Capela fits in seamlessly in the team’s offensive attack as a big man who can run the floor and rim roll in halfcourt sets. He’s also a rim protector defensively.
Houston obviously would love to have him back for a while, but will they actually pony up big bucks for him?
That is the major question.