Malik McDowell was the Seattle Seahawks’ first pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. They took him No. 35 overall out of Michigan State.
The former Spartans’ star had an ATV accident a few weeks before training camp. He was placed on injured reserve and did not play in a game all season.
Now, it’s being reported that Seattle is likely going to cut the former top NFL Draft pick. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported the news.
Rapoport says “they are expected to release him in the near future. The hope is that another team will medically clear him.”
The #Seahawks have not yet cleared 2017 2nd round pick DT Malik McDowell, and source said they are expected to release him in the near future. The hope is that another team will medically clear him.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 16, 2018
It’s unclear at this point if McDowell will ever recover to the point where he can become an everyday NFL player. Updates regarding his health status are sparse.
McDowell was also arrested for disorderly conduct last year. It’s unclear if any off-the-field behavior is playing into Seattle’s decision to potentially release him.
The Seahawks signed the defensive lineman to a four-year, $6.95 million contract with $4.40 million guaranteed last year. McDowell had a signing bonus of $3.19 million.
If McDowell is cut, he’ll join a small list of top NFL Draft picks to be cut without ever playing a snap for the team that drafted him. This year’s NFL Draft is set to begin on April 26.