The Canadian Football League announced this afternoon the dismissal of quarterback Johnny Manziel, who has been released by the Montreal Alouettes and barred from signing with another team in the league.
Manziel has spent less than one season in the league and the CFL has announced that it will be preventing other CFL teams from signing him.
“We are disappointed by this turn of events. Johnny was provided a great deal of support by our organization, in collaboration with the CFL, but he has been unable to abide by the terms of his agreement,” Alouettes general manager Kavis Reed said in a statement. “We worked with the league and presented alternatives to Johnny, who was unwilling to proceed.”
The specific reasoning for Manziel’s dismissal remains unclear.
Manziel has taken to Twitter to release a statement:
“I want to thank Coach Sherman, my teammates, and the CFL fans. My time there reestablished my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States,” he announced.
I want to thank Coach Sherman, my teammates, and the CFL fans. My time there reestablished my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States.
— Johnny Manziel (@JManziel2) February 27, 2019
Manziel, as he says in his statement, will likely be pursuing a future in the Alliance of American Football league or the XFL.
The quarterback has spoken highly of those leagues before.
“It’s great for football, it’s great for the guys who need more opportunity, need more film and time to play. I don’t know exactly what my exact steps will be for the next years coming up, but at least there’s a lot of options,” Manziel said on Barstool Sports Comeback SZN podcast.
“Me and E.B. [agent Erik Burkhardt] are fully committed to playing ball and trying to get into the best situation possible and that’s what it’s all about.”
The AAF debuted earlier this year, while the XFL will start in 2020.