It’s safe to say that Saints fans won’t get over the controversial NFC Championship Game for a long time. But Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas doesn’t seem anywhere near being over the game either.
On Monday, the NFL Officiating Twitter account posted a picture of their setup at Mercedes-Benz Stadium ahead of Super Bowl LIII.
Almost immediately, Thomas took to his own Twitter account and retweeted the post with a “vomitting” emoji.
The message was clear: He is still disgusted with NFL officiating.
— Michael Thomas (@Cantguardmike) January 28, 2019
The Saints lost the NFC Championship Game to the Los Angeles Rams, 26-23 in overtime, in large part due to a very controversial play at the end of regulation.
The play in question involved Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman hitting Saints wide receiver Tommylee Lewis early on a key third down play, preventing him from catching a ball from Drew Brees.
No pass interference was called, but head coach Sean Payton said after the game that he was told the officials blew the call and should have thrown the flag.
The Saints followed up the play with a field goal that the Rams matched, which then sent the game into overtime.
Even before the Saints lost the game in overtime, an avalanche of outrage poured onto the internet. The conversation has lasted for over a week, going so far as a federal lawsuit and a discussion on the U.S. Senate floor.
The Super Bowl may be over next Sunday, but the outrage that Michael Thomas, the Saints, and many of their fans have may last for a very long time.