Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has been connected to the Miami Dolphins in the 2020 NFL Draft for what feels like a year. Of course, most figured that it would be as the No. 1 pick.
A lot has changed since last offseason. Tua was having a pretty remarkable season, but went down with injury late in the year. The hip issue looked very scary at the time, and his recovery is still ongoing, but the early indications appear to be good. The Dolphins were bad this season, but not the potential 0-16 trainwreck many expected. They have the No. 5 pick in the NFL Draft.
Plenty still have Tua heading to the Dolphins in that spot. After Joe Burrow likely heads to the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 1, there could be a run on quarterbacks. Oregon’s Justin Herbert could also be on the rise after a very strong Senior Bowl Week.
NFL.com’s new mock draft has both quarterbacks going in the top five. What’s more: it has two teams heavily connected to the two passers trading up in the top five to take them. The mock, by draft analyst Chad Reuter, features plenty of wheeling and dealing.
— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) February 21, 2020
Here is the top 15 from the first round:
1. Cincinnati Bengals – Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. Washington Redskins – Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State
3. Miami Dolphins (trade with Lions) – Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
4. Los Angeles Chargers (trade with Giants) – Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
5. Detroit Lions (trade with Dolphins) – Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State
6. New York Giants (trade with Chargers) – Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
7. Carolina Panthers – Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
8. Arizona Cardinals – Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
9. Jacksonville Jaguars – Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
10. Atlanta Falcons (trade with Browns) – K’Lavon Chaisson, EDGE, LSU
11. Denver Broncos (trade with Jets) – CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
12. Las Vegas Raiders – Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
13. Indianapolis Colts – Jacob Eason, QB, Washington
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
15. New York Jets (trade with Broncos)- Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama
There have been some rumors that the Lions could target Tagovailoa to eventually supplant Matthew Stafford, which could lead the Lions to try and jump in to that spot. With Utah State’s Jordan Love, another passer whose draft stock in on the rise, going later in the first round, five are projected in this mock.
Head to NFL.com for the full mock draft.