Skip to main content

Sean Payton Reveals What NFL Told Him About Controversial Call

saints head coach sean payton after saints-rams

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - JANUARY 20: Head coach Sean Payton of the New Orleans Saints reacts against the Los Angeles Rams during the fourth quarter in the NFC Championship game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 20, 2019 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

This won't be much consolation to New Orleans Saints fans, but Sean Payton says the NFL admitted it blew the call on Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman's non-DPI late in the fourth quarter.

After the game, Payton said he had already spoken to the league office.

They admitted they messed up by not throwing a flag.

With the score tied at 20 late in the fourth quarter, Robey-Coleman blatantly hit Saints wide receiver Tommylee Lewis early on a third down pass deep in Rams territory, but no flag was thrown. New Orleans had to settle for a field goal and a 23-20 lead. The Rams tied the score at 23 on a Greg Zuerlein field goal in the final seconds of regulation, and won a trip to the Super Bowl on Zuerlein's 57-yard game-winner in overtime. Making matters worse, Payton claims the NFL told him that not only did the refs miss the DPI, they also missed a helmet-to-helmet hit by Robey-Cpleman.

In terms of non-calls, this might be the worst one I can remember. It totally determined the outcome of a game.

Payton himself said his team may never get past this disappointment.

NFL refs have had a rough season, and today just made things worse.