The first wave of NFL free agency saw some huge deals go out to some of the league’s stars. But as you would expect, few players collected more dough than the quarterbacks.
In the past week we’ve seen stars like Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and even Teddy Bridgewater sign free agent deals each worth more than $20 million annually. We’ve also seen a number of quarterbacks like Drew Brees, Ryan Tannehill and Dak Prescott re-up with their teams for some hefty sums.
But as the first wave of big free agent signings come to a close, who are the highest-paid NFL quarterbacks? Spotrac did a salary analysis and created a ranked list of the highest-paid NFL quarterbacks heading into 2020 based on cash.
Topping the list is the Seattle Seahawks’ Russell Wilson, who is set to pocket a cool $53 million. Wilson put up stellar numbers in 2019 en route to an 11-5 record, a third straight Pro Bowl and a trip to the playoffs.
Here is the full list of the highest-paid NFL quarterbacks in cash in 2020:
- Russell Wilson (Seahawks) – $53 million
- Kirk Cousins (Vikings) – $40 million
- Carson Wentz (Eagles) – $39.3 million
- Ryan Tannehill (Titans) – $37.5 million
- Jared Goff (Rams) – $31 million
- Dak Prescott (Cowboys) – $30 million
- Jimmy Garoppolo (49ers) – $25.2 million
- Tom Brady (Buccaneers), Drew Brees (Saints), and Philip Rivers (Colts) – $25 million
- Teddy Bridgewater (Panthers) – $24 million
- Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers) – $21 million
Top 10 2020 QB Cash
1. Russell Wilson, $53M
2. Kirk Cousins, $40M
3. Carson Wentz, $39.3M
4. Ryan Tannehill, $37.5M
5. Jared Goff, $31M
6. Dak Prescott, $30M
7. Jimmy Garoppolo, $25.2M
8. Brady/Brees/Rivers, $25M
9. Teddy Bridgewater, $24M
10. Ben Roethlisberger, $21M
— Spotrac (@spotrac) March 22, 2020
The list is a who’s-who of rising stars, accomplished veterans and players with potential.
It certainly is fascinating to see Russell Wilson earning more money than Tom Brady and Drew Brees combined. But given that Wilson is showing no signs of diminishing skill at 31 years of age, the Seahawks are well within their right to pay him like it.
Should the list of highest-paid NFL quarterbacks reflect talent or accomplishments?