The Pac-12 Championship Game is officially set with Utah’s win over Colorado on Saturday night. The fifth ranked Utes will take on No. 13 Oregon from Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
This is a massive game for the Pac-12, a conference which has only been represented in the College Football Playoff twice since its inception. Utah carries the weight on its shoulders as the lone playoff hopeful from the Pac-12.
A Utah win would most likely earn the Utes a playoff bid as the No. 4 seed. A Utah loss and the Utes are out of the playoff discussion.
As for the Ducks, their playoff hopes were dashed two weeks ago in a loss to Arizona State. But Oregon still has a chance at the Rose Bowl. A win secures an automatic bid to the “Granddaddy of Them All” while a loss makes things interesting.
The Ducks could still go to the Rose Bowl if Utah beats them in the Pac-12 title game as long as Utah is then selected to the CFP.
ESPN has released its prediction for Friday night’s Pac-12 Championship Game. The Matchup Predictor gives Utah a slight edge as the Utes have been given a 51.1 percent chance to win. Oregon’s chances are currently set at 48.9 percent.
If the prediction ends up accurate, Friday night’s game could be a very close battle.