Skip to main content

Thomas Duarte Officially Announces That He Will Enter NFL Draft

The UCLA Bruins are losing a lot of talent to the NFL this year. The most recent announcement comes from wide receiver Thomas Duarte, who made the officialy announcement via Twitter minutes ago.

">January 13, 2016

Duarte joins five other Bruins—Caleb Benenoch, Kenny Clark, Myles Jack, Paul Perkins, and Alex Redmond—as early entrants to the draft. His father told the Orange County Register that the departure of offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone played a role in his decision.

He called the departure of offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, who took the same position at Texas A&M last week, “the straw that broke the camel’s back.”

“It kind of helped to make his decision,” Tim said. “He (Mazzone) really recruited him and really had the confidence in him coming out of high school. Thomas was a perfect fit for his offense.”

Duarte was the Y-receiver in Mazzone’s spread, up-tempo offense, a sort of hybrid tight end, the position he may play in the NFL.

"He was real comfortable," Tim said.

Duarte caught 53 passes for 872 yards and 10 touchdowns this season.