Earlier this week, the USC Trojans announced that Clay Helton will return as the head coach for next season. Clearly that news isn’t sitting well with recruits.
On Friday, Joey Wright announced that he’s decommitting from USC. He’s a four-star offensive lineman that is the No. 5 recruit from Nevada, per 247Sports.
Wright initially chose USC over Arizona State, Nevada and Washington State among others. However, the talented recruit from Bishop Manogue has decided to reopen his recruitment.
The four-star offensive tackle revealed the news on his Twitter account.
“As of now USC is something in the past,” Wright said. “I appreciate everyone that took part in getting me there. With that being said my recruitment is now open!”
Here’s the full announcement from Wright:
No interviews. pic.twitter.com/NJvEnqjlq7
— 📞🧖🏽♂️ (@joey_wright_) December 6, 2019
The timing of this news would suggest that Wright wasn’t too fond with USC’s decision to retain Helton. That being said, there’s no telling what the motive was behind his decommitment.
Now that Wright is no longer part of USC’s 2020 recruiting class, the Trojans fell a few spots in 247Sports’ recruiting rankings. They currently have the No. 78 class in the country, which is way below expectations for this program.
We’ll see if any other USC commits change their mind in the near future.