The Dallas Cowboys are flirting with disaster after looking like a lock to make the playoff. Dallas currently sits in first place in the NFC East, but could lose the division if the Cowboys lose to the Philadelphia Eagles.
With the Cowboys struggling, several names have popped up as potential candidates to fill the void if Garrett is fired. College coaches like Lincoln Riley and Urban Meyer were mentioned as possible replacements for Garrett.
However, FOX Sports host Colin Cowherd questioned why we aren’t talking about Nick Saban. Cowherd gave five reasons Jerry Jones should call Saban.
- Lane Kiffin’s SEC comeback: “As good a recruiter as anybody in the country,” Cowherd said. “So is Ed Orgeron, maybe the second-best recruiter in the country. So is Kirby Smart, maybe the third-best recruiter in the country.”
- “What does the NFL not have? A transfer portal,” Cowherd said.
- “Dallas is not a rebuild.”
- “Nick Saban is one of the smartest defensive coaches ever and Dallas is not well-coached on defense.”
- “It’s a perfect entry point…You never want to replace Howard Stern. You want to replace somebody where you look at the numbers and go, ‘Oh, I can double those numbers.'”
It’s difficult to see Saban jumping back to the NFL – especially in his late 60’s. Although Alabama suffered its first two-loss season since 2014, the Crimson tide are well-positioned for sustained excellence.
Despite Cowherd’s claims of Alabama losing recruits to other program, the Crimson Tide have the No. 1 class for the 2020 cycle.