Skip to main content

Video: 5-Star Basketball Recruit Thon Maker Announces That He Will Remain In The 2016 Recruiting Class

The recruitment of five-star center Thon Maker, one of the top uncommitted players in the country, has been a wild ride. Prepare for another few months of it, at least, college basketball fans. Maker, who had previously indicated that he would reclassify to the 2015 class and go to college next year, has officially declared that he will stick with the 2016 class instead.

Arizona State and Indiana have reportedly been the schools most heavily involved in his drawn out recruitment, but with this news, expect schools like Kansas and Kentucky to jump back into the ring in a big way.

">June 19, 2015

">June 19, 2015

Kyle Tucker from The Courier-Journal has more from Maker.

"I'll make it official here that I'm definitely going to stay (in high school) and just play it out, take my visits in November, and play another year with my brother," he said, referring to younger brother Matur. "So I'm definitely going to stay in 2016. I'm staying with my class."

...

"I've tried to get into the 2015 class. Just didn't work out," Maker said. "It became too much, so I just had to slow down, especially with the books and the traveling and just getting better … it all just clogs up your mind and you get stressed out, so I had to cut back a few things. And I also wanted to play with my brother and finally finish out the credits that I need and leave when I'm done."

On top of the previously mentioned schools, Arizona, Duke, Georgetown, Louisville, Miami, Missouri, Virginia, and others have offered. With this extension in the recruiting cycle, expect all of the major players who are interested to get involved.