Skip to main content

Look: ESPN Bowl Game Graphic Going Viral On Tuesday

Mack Brown celebrates a win with the North Carolina Tar Heels.

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA - AUGUST 31: Head coach Mack Brown of the North Carolina Tar Heels reacts after defeating the South Carolina Gamecocks 24-20 in the Belk College Kickoff game at Bank of America Stadium on August 31, 2019 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)

On Thursday, two border rivals will clash in the Duke Mayo Bowl. North Carolina and South Carolina square off for the first time since 2019 with a trophy on the line.

Ahead of the matchup, ESPN posted a hilarious graphic revealing that the winner will get a tub of mayonnaise poured on them in lieu of Gatorade. The respective coaches responses quickly went viral.

"I'm not a big mayonnaise guy," South Carolina coach Shane Beamer responded. "I mean, I'll gladly take one for the team on that one if it means we won a football game. But woof."

Tar Heels coach Mack Brown was a bit more blunt in his response.

"If we won a game, I'd let someone hit me in the face with a frying pan," Brown said. "I don't care."

Both teams enter the bowl game 6-6. With UNC favored to win by ESPN's Football Power Index. According to the ESPN FPI, Mack Brown's team has a 69.8 percent chance to win. While Beamer's Gamecocks only have a 30.2 percent chance.

The first meeting between the neighboring state schools dates back to 1908. North Carolina owns the upper hand in the series with a 35-19-4 record.