The Saints' long-awaited QB decision has finally come.
On Friday morning, reports broke that Jameis Winston will make the start over Taysom Hill in Week 1, per ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter. And with this decision comes some added opportunities for the former No. 1 overall pick.
According to Schefter, Winston has up to $7 million available in incentives worked into his contract this coming season. The New Orleans QB1 will earn those incentives based on factors like playing time, passing statistics and team success.
Saints insider Nick Underhill shared the full list of incentives:
- $62,500 for each game he's active for more than 50% of snaps, up to $1 million
- $250,000 for each playoff win where he plays more than 50% of snaps, up to $1 million
- $500,000 for more than 70% of offensive snaps in the playoffs
- $500,000 if he plays more than 70% of snaps and Saints rank fifth or better in sacks taken
- $500,000 for a passer rating above 93 (minimum of 224 attempts)
- $500,000 for 65% or more pass completion (minimum of 224 attempts)
- $200,000 for 2,500 or more passing yards
- $500,000 INSTEAD for 3,000 or more passing yards
- $1 million INSTEAD for 3,500 or more passing yards
- $200,000 for 16 or more passing touchdowns
- $500,000 INSTEAD for 20 or more passing touchdowns
- $1 million INSTEAD for 25 or more passing touchdowns
- $1 million bonus if he improves on any of the following 2020 statistics: playing time, passing yards, passing touchdowns, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns (max $1 million)
These added incentives will certainly help sweeten the one-year, $12 million deal he signed with the Saints earlier this offseason.
In 2020, Winston saw time in just four regular-season contests -- logging just seven completions for 75 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions.
With a far greater workload ahead of him, Winston will look to make his money in the Saints' Week 1 matchup against the Green Bay Packers on Sep. 12.